Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Handmade Gift

Everyone loves a handmade gift, I know I do.  It makes you feel like that person has put a lot of thought and a lot of love into the gift.  So when my Mum said that she would like to learn how to crochet and her birthday was coming up, I thought why not make a lovely bag and fill it with what she needs to crochet.

I love crocheting, I find it relaxing and I have been crocheting since I was around 10 yrs old.  When I'm working on a project, I like to keep everything I need in one bag so I don't have to keep getting up and looking for anything and plus it keeps my wool clean from dust or hair that it might pick up.  Plus I can grab the bag on the go and take my crocheting with me if I'm going somewhere like the doctors or the hospital for a checkup and have to wait for ages.

So to make the bag I found a pretty Magpie and Plum Blossom fat quarter I had purchased from Etsy a while ago and a matching red poplin to line the inside.  The fat quarter measured 18 inch x 21 inches (45.7 cm x 53.3 cm) so I cut it in half  (22.85 cm x 26.65 cm) and did the same for the red poplin.


Next I folded the material in half with right sides facing each other and sewed 3 sides leaving an opening for the top of the bag.  Now you should have to pockets.



Now to sew the pockets together.  I placed the magpie and plum blossom pouch inside the red lining (sorry for some reason I haven't taken any photo's of this part) along with some pink ribbon for the handles and sewed them both together leaving a gap so that I could pull them through so that they were facing out the right way and then hand sewed the hole shut.



And now it's done, now just to fill it with goodies.  Some red and pink wool to match the bag along with a variety of crochet hooks.





So this got me in the mood for crocheting and as my nephew's birthday is on the same day as my Mum I decided to make a vest and matching boots for his 1st birthday!



Do you have a family or friends birthday coming up, if so why not make them something special!

Happy Sewing!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment